Friday, September 28, 2007

You can't bank on good service




I knew I should have expected the worst, when I was queueing for... 'cashier number 5 please' when I overheard another customer asking why a side door was locked that meant he had to walk into a busy road to get around road works that had closed the pavement between the bank's car park and the main entrance...this simple solution (open the side door) versus placing the banks customers in mortal danger was beyond the capability staff on the ground to sanction...and they certainly lacked the 'bottle' or initiative to deal with the problem imaginatively. It might also have been an unscrupulous 'life insurance sales technique'of course!

Any way, I duly arrived at the cashier to deposit some cash. I then had a query about my business account and asked the cashier if she happened to have the number of the office. "Oh no sir, that's business banking, I don't have that, you need to go over to the 'service' (sic) desk"

So I joined another queue at the under 'personed' service without a smile desk, and waited 15 minutes whilst the service provider provided detailed account problem sorting for the customer in front of me. Great service for them, crap service for me and the 8 people behind me.

Then...hooray my turn...or so I thought...the service person finished with Mrs Detail, stood up and walked past me saying "Sorry to keep you, I just have to sort out a customer in the meeting room" - To cap it all another (obvious newbie) ignoring me, came up to the woman behind me and asked " So, are you together?" (meaning me) and proceeded to deal with the woman's query!

At this point I was in total bemusement, and, in a semi-catatonic trance, walked out the bank and nearly got flattened by a bus because I couldn't walk on the pavement!

No comments: